Social Security and Federal Benefits Questions

If you reside in Chile and have questions regarding services provided by the Social Security Administration (SSA), you must contact the SSA Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) located in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

For more information on their services and how to contact them, please visit their website:

Only first-time applicants for a Social Security Number who are U.S. citizens and are over 12 years old may submit their applications through the American Citizen Services Unit at the U.S. Embassy in Santiago.

See the following link for further information on documentation and scheduling your online appointment:

For any other request regarding Social Security Number cards, such as obtaining a replacement card, or first-time applicants under age 12, you must contact the Federal Benefits Unit in Buenos Aires using the online form:

General information on SSA services for people living outside the United States can be found at