Other Resources for U.S. Citizens

Foreign nationals wishing to tour the White House must apply to their country’s Embassy or Consulate in Washington, D.C.

The U.S. Embassy in Colombia is not open to the general public to visit.

The U.S. Embassy cannot issue replacement or certified copies of U.S. birth certificates, death certificates, or marriage certificates. You can apply for a copy or request an amendment through the Vital Records Office in the state in which the event occurred:


For information about driving in Colombia you must contact the appropriate Colombian authority.

The IRS does not have an office at the Embassy. For important information from the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for taxpayers living abroad visit: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-individuals

If you still have questions after checking the IRS website, you can call the International Taxpayer Service Call Center for assistance at: https://www.irs.gov/help/contact-my-local-office-internationally

IRS refund checks are mailed to the individual’s last known address. If you are expecting a federal tax refund, you can check your refund status on the IRS website at: http://irs.gov/

There is information and resources available on the Department of State’s website https://travel.state.gov/content/travel.html which include tips on how to protect yourself and your money from scams.

On the website select “International Travel,” select “Emergencies,” and follow the guidance under “International Financial Scams.”


You are not required to report your marriage to the U.S. Embassy.

In general, marriages that are legally performed and valid abroad are also legally valid in the United States. However, each U.S. state has its own marriage regulations. Therefore, you should contact the relevant state’s attorney general to check whether your marriage and marriage certificate will be valid there.

Contact your local police to report a crime in progress or to report a missing person. They can contact Interpol for overseas crime.

Additional information is available at the Department of State’s website https://travel.state.gov/content/travel.html , select “International Travel,” select “Emergencies,” and follow the guidance under “U.S. Citizens Missing Abroad”.

To contact the U.S. Embassy regarding a missing U.S. citizen in Colombia please visit: https://co.usembassy.gov/services/contact-acs-form/

If you would like to speak to someone directly regarding a missing U.S. citizen in Colombia, call the U.S. Embassy:

Please call: +57 (601) 275-2000

The Embassy is unable to rebook flights or provide travel assistance. Please contact your transportation company for information about how to reschedule or rebook your travel. If you booked through a tour operator, they may be able to assist. You can also contact your travel insurance company if applicable. If you are experiencing financial difficulties as a result of the delay, the quickest way to seek help is to contact family and friends. If they cannot help, visit:


The U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) website provides information about taking medication or food to the United States and information about prohibited and restricted items.

Visit the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) website at: https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/know-before-you-go/prohibited-and-restricted-items

The United States Postal Service (USPS) website provides information about mailing items overseas from the U.S, including lists of prohibited and restricted items.

Visit the United States Postal Service (USPS) website: https://www.usps.com/ship/shipping-restrictions.htm

For information regarding what items you can take to Colombia from the U.S. you must contact the appropriate government authority in Colombia .